Thursday, May 31, 2012

25 K Grand Rapids, Michigan, Riverbank Run

The Riverbank Run weekend was awesome as usual! 

The 5K started at 7:00 so I got to watch the race before my race which started at 8:20.  I was cuted out when I saw my daughter Andrea and her boyfriend Adam running hard and holding hands and I had to wipe away tears as my 15 year old nephew Jordon proudly ran by and waved. What an accomplishment for him!

I wasnt able to watch my hubby Don start the 10K.  I had to kiss him goodbye and wish him a good race as he went off with my brother-in-law Dave and my daughter Esther's boyfriend Jesse who were also doing the 10K.  My daughter looked very worried as Jesse had never done a 10K before.  He did great finishing in 55 minutes.

Ed and I had to head to the 25K start.  I was happy with my 2:22 finish but it wasnt as easy as I thought it was going to be.  I thought 25 would be a breeze but it still felt hard at the end and the last kilometer was still brutal.  Also I felt sick after the finish and had to sit down.  The finish in Michigan is really exciting because you come around a corner and then come into the downtown area and the streets are just packed with people.  I tried really hard looking for my family but couldnt find them.  What a dissapointment!  Turns out they saw me and were yelling my name!  Well at least they saw me.  Despite that I had a great race and really enjoyed it.

Don's mom did the 5K walk and finished strong but there was no one there at the finish because the timing of the races and coordinating alll the spectating can get very complicating.  She didnt find everyone else for an hour.  She managed to watch Ed and I finish even though WE didnt see her. We need a spectator coordinator!

We were all happy with our times and had a great race.  I also learned some things for the marathon.  First I 'm going to wear something that stands out so my family can see me and Im going to have them hold something so I can see them.   Also I am going to have to learn to like gels or powerbars because eating 2 hours before the race is not taking me through the race. 

We all celebrated with delicious meals by our hosts Barb and Dave!

No comments:

Post a Comment