Friday, August 3, 2012

Im Going For It!

When I was doing the marathon I had a secret unspoken goal.  I didnt want to tell anyone because it was enough just to think about it and it just seemed too far out of reach.  I wanted to get a PR and beat 4:32 but secretly I was hoping for somewhere around 4:20 and I told myself if I did that I would try to qualify for the Boston Marathon. There...I just said it out loud.  Well my time was 4:14 and I was so excited but was not ready to go for it yet. 

Then last week I did a 1/4 marathon and got 55:13 and won first place in my age class!  This made it easier to figure out if Boston was doable.  If I did 55 minutes four times my marathon time would be approx 3:40 Wow! My qualifying time is to get under 4 hours.  I would never be able to keep that pace up for 42K though. But... I would have 4 extra minutes per quarter and still qualify.  Im starting to think this is maybe possibly possible that just maybe I can qualify for Boston??? 

Im going for it! 

(Several moments later.........)

I just registered for the Scotiabank Waterfront Toronto Marathon October 14 and Im scared to death!  I'm doing another marathon...am I nuts.  Im going to chase a BQ!  No thats not Dairy Queen but a Boston Qualifier.

Im going for it!  There's no time like the present to chase your dreams.  Whats the worst that can happen?  I dont qualify....dont finish....waste registration money.....drive my husband nuts and he leaves me......at least I get will get another cool race shirt.

I will have to train by myself this time though.  The marathon clinics have started up over a month ago.  I wont have the embarrasment of being last running with the Ironmen from the Running Free store pushing me to go faster.  I found out later that my marathon clinic leader Matt had the fastest Canadian Boston Marathon time!  I didnt realize who I was running with!  He was very encouraging and I learned alot from him. 

My Boston Ready Plan:

Monday - 10K Tempo Run

Tuesday - Gym/Weights and Speed Work - 1k slow / 1K fast 3 or 4 times

Wednesday - Gym - 1/2 hr Bike & 1/2 hr Weights

Thursday - Easy 10K

Friday - Off

Saturday - Long Run

Sunday - Off



Woohoo!  Just hope my 50 year old legs hold out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment