Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Hubby Helps Me With Speed Work

Last week I did my first speed training session.  I dragged my hubby Don with cuz its just too hard to do speed work by yourself.  He does 10K runs with me but doesnt love it. He's a mountain biker and wants to get back into racing so thats why he agreed to go with me.  I didnt really give him too much detail about what he was getting into. I knew he would complain at first but then get really into it cuz he's very competitive and thats exactly how it went.

We are supposed to do 1K slow and then 1K fast and then repeat 3 times.  We drove to a local highschool and did 2 laps instead which is 800 meters I think, close enough.  It was super hot and humid and when we did our first 2 fast laps Don said, this is retarded but by the last 2 fast laps he was getting into it.  It was really hard to do 2 laps fast. I wanted to stop so bad but I imagined being at the marathon clinic during speed training.  There was no way I was stopping then, I would get way too far behind.  So I imagined big scary, fast Ironmen coming behind me.

When we were done Don raved about what a good workout it was which made me very happy knowing I would have someone to train with.  It was a great feeling when we were done and high fived each other, although we didnt make a slap sound because we were too sweaty and slimy.  There were sprinklers going at the highschool so we ran through them and cooled off but what a sight we were!

Yesterday we did our second speed training session.  I actually brought my watch with this time.  Im just new to this caring about time thing.  My first 2 laps I did in 3 min 40 sec, 2nd was 3:47 and the third was 3:42.  You are supposed to do each one faster but I dont know how you are supposed to do that?!  I guess if you have one of those fancy shmancy Garmins you know your pace at all times. 

Speed work hurts so much but it feels so great when you are done.  The Olympics is definately giving me inspiration!  When it hurts so bad I just have an imaginary commentary going on in my head. "And Cyndie A. is picking up the pace in the last 100 meters.  You can sure tell she has been training hard.  Look at her go!"  And then the crowd cheers. 

It also helps that Don runs with me and frustratingly talks about how fast I am.  But I know it wont be long before he is beating me.  Which is alright because then it will be a challenge to chase him...and Im sure he wont mind that at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment