Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Nausea and Other TMIs

Last week I survived my first 30K run.  I went with my running buddy, my brother-in-law Ed.  It took us 3hrs 9 minutes which is pretty much on tract with my 4:20 marathon goal.  We ran the waterfront trail in Pickering and the scenery was really nice.  It sure beats my Oshawa city run.  We went 15K out and then back.  It was hard but when you are running with someone else you have no choice but to keep going.  We had problems with clouds of little black bugs though that flew in our mouth and when I got home I noticed a dead one stuck in my eye. 

This Saturday... I did 33K by myself.  I did my 10K & 6.5K neighborhood route and then did them backwards.  It wasnt as pretty and it was cold and windy and I felt nauseous the whole way, I'll take little black bugs over that.  It took me 3 1/2 hrs too!  I think it was because of the wind, plus my watch is crappy plus Ed makes me faster.

My hubby Don and I always go out for breakfast every Saturday morning.  We've been doing this ever since our kids were old enough to babysit.  The past ten years or so we started working out or running before we go.  It feels great to have worked out and shower before our date.  We say we have to work for it or it doesnt taste as good. 

Last week when I ran with Ed I told Don I would do my run first and then we would just have a late breakfast and call it brunch.  Well we had "brunch" at 2:00 p.m.  Crazy I know but nothing stops us from having our breakfast out.  It just doesnt feel like the weekend if we dont have our breakfast treat. 
So this Saturday we had our breakfast at the normal time and then I did my run 2 hours later which is the usual time I have to wait after eating to run without feeling nauseous.  Well 10K into it I felt like throwing up.  I'd burp and then think - oh now Im going to feel better but the sick feeling never went away.  I was also experimenting with these sport energy gummies and jelly beans but they just made me feel even more pukey.

I guess it was too big of a breakfast.  I had 2 eggs, 2 slices of toast, tomato and a fruit bowl with strawberries, pineapple and bananas oh yeah and about 3 cups of coffee, maybe that was the reason.  I wont be doing that again! On the morning of a race I always eat a couple hours before the race but I have half a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and half a banana and a cup of coffee and it has never failed me.  I'm ready to go to the bathroom right before the race and then Im good to go.  I know thats TMI but its very important.  I've seen runners in the bushes during a race and one time I saw a woman whip down her shorts and go behind a very skinny tree.  Im not that hardcore!  Peanut butter bagel from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment