Friday, March 9, 2012

Jesus Running Waves

I'm behind in writing about my marathon clinic. I want to have a reminder of my training to look back on. Training is half the fun of doing the marathon. Its like being pregnant. Waiting and preparing for the special day, scared but yet excited. Ok well having a baby is way better and you get a baby at the end, in the marathon you just get sore muscles and feet, oh an bragging rights I guess. Not everyone can run a marathon but lots of people can have a baby. Enough! Im constantly comparing running a marathon to having a baby. I even wrote an article on it and it was published in The Running Room magazine, but I have to stop doing that.

Running can also be compared to our christian faith walk in so many ways. I'll never stop doing that! I was thinking about that a few weeks ago when I really didnt want to go to the marathon clinic. It was so dark and cold and they were doing a 13K tempo run. It was hard enough doing a 10K tempo, I didnt know if I could do 13. It was also a crappy week at home. I have "20-something" kids and it can get pretty scary sometimes and I start doubting and worrying. Well I forced myself to go to the clinic and was so glad I did. I was feeling really down and after the clinic I felt so great.

I ran 13k at a quick steady tempo, wasnt last and finished strong. But the best part was where the extra 3 kilometers took us. We ran to the Pickering waterfront and we could hear the waves get louder and louder as we got closer. The waves were huge and looked so dark and eerie but yet mysterious and amazing. Snow was lightly falling so you could see a little sparkle here and there. Its how I had always pictured the waves when Jesus walked on water. The disciples being amazed yet scared. How eerie that must have looked. Then I thought about how powerful God is and that He could make those mightly waves stop just by saying so. I felt so comforted. God always speaks to me when I am feeling down. He was showing me in such an amazing way that though my life may seem out of control and scary like those waves He is in control.

Then just as I was thinking that a Hillsong song came on my MP3 player (yes I snuck my little buddy with this time) . The song started "I have never walked on water..." seriously it did! What a God moment. Some would say coincidence but I know its not. The chorus goes: "You are my freedom, Jesus you're the reason, Im kneeling again at your throne, where would I be without you, here in my life, here in my life." I was singing that outloud the rest of the week, sometimes without realizing I was singing it outloud.

Anyways I was talking about how I compare running to my faith walk . That week I was thinking that on our faith walk, sometimes we are called to do something we really dont feel like doing, but when we do it anyway because we know God wants us to, we are always blessed. I find that with running too. Some nights I REALLY dont want to go but I am always blessed when I do. I also thought its like my Dad never wanting to miss church because he said that might be the day when its one of those life changing messages so he didnt want to miss it. Runnings like that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment